Welcome! If you're looking for independent, evidence-based information on prescription drug abuse, you'll find it here. Browse through reports on a variety of topics related to prescription drug abuse such as:
- drug abuse prevention and management strategies
- assessments of drugs with high potential for abuse
- the safety of drugs with high abuse potential
- the effectiveness of drugs with high abuse potential compared with their alternatives
- e-Therapy Interventions for the Treatments of Substance Use Disorders and Other Addictions: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness (Summary With Critical Appraisal, June 2018)
- Policies to Reduce Harms from the Concomitant Use of Opioids and Central Nervous System Depressant Drugs (Environmental Scan, April 2018)
- Buprenorphine/Naloxone Versus Methadone for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence: A Review of Comparative Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness and Guidelines (Peer-Reviewed Summary With Critical Appraisal, Sept. 2016)
- Crushed Buprenorphine or Buprenorphine-Naloxone for Opioid Dependency: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines (Summary With Critical Appraisal, July 2016)
- Prescribing and Dispensing Policies to Address Harms Associated With Prescription Drug Abuse (Environmental Scan, Oct. 2015)
- Stepwise Approach for the Prescription of Opiates for Non-Cancer Pain: A Review of Clinical Evidence and Guidelines (Summary With Critical Appraisal, May 2014)
Browse the Evidence
Looking for a specific CADTH report? Find the list of our prescription drug abuse reports here.
Browse by Drug Category
Want to browse the evidence on prescription drug abuse by a specific category of drug?