On November 18, 2016, Federal Minister of Health Dr. Jane Philpott and Ontario Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Dr. Eric Hoskins convened a national summit to address Canada’s growing opioid crisis. The aim of the Opioid Summit was to address the increasing rates of opioid addiction, overdose, and deaths across Canada.
Following the summit, a Joint Statement of Action to Address the Opioid Crisis was produced reflecting the commitments from federal and jurisdictional Ministries of Health and other bodies, as well as pan-Canadian organizations. The key objectives are to improve prevention and treatment, and reduce harms associated with problematic opioid use.
CADTH made the following commitment:
By November 2017: Analyzing the international literature to identify best practices and provide evidence-based recommendations, advice and decision support tools that will inform and guide patients, clinicians and policy-makers regarding pain management interventions (drug and non-drug), and the treatment of opioid addiction.
In the Opioid Evidence Bundle section of the CADTH website, we’ve pulled together our best evidence on opioids, divided under the topics of Pain Treatment; Misuse, Overdose, and Harms; Opioid Use Disorder (Addiction); and Alternatives to Opioids. We’ll be updating our Opioid Evidence Bundle regularly with more evidence, including rapid evidence reviews (Rapid Response Reports), Environmental Scans, Horizon Scans, and our larger Optimal Use projects with expert recommendations, as they are completed.
- Policies to Prevent Harms From the Co-Prescribing of Opioids and Central Nervous System-Depressant Drugs (Tool, July 2018)
- Mind the Research Gaps (Tool, March 2018)
- Funding and Management of Naloxone Programs in Canada (Environmental Scan, March 2018)
- Emerging Non-Opioid Drugs for the Treatment of Pain (Environmental Scan, February 2018)
- Alpha2-Adrenergic Agonists for the Reduction or Discontinuation of Opioids or Opioid Substitution Therapy: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines (Summary with Critical Appraisal, February 2018)
- Antidepressants for Adults with Depression using Opioid Medications: Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines (Summary of Abstracts, February 2018)
- Buprenorphine/Naloxone Versus Methadone for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence: A Review of Comparative Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness and Guidelines (Peer-Reviewed Summary With Critical Appraisal, September 2016)
Browse the Evidence
Want to browse our evidence on a specific topic related to opioids? Categories include Pain Treatment; Misuse, Overdose, Harms; Alternatives to Opioids.