This Environmental Scan presents how naloxone is made available in Canadian provinces and territories. The key objectives of this Environmental Scan are to answer the following questions:
- How are take-home naloxone programs managed and funded?
- How are take-home naloxone kits distributed?
- What are the contents of publicly funded take-home naloxone kits?
- How are public drug plans involved in the coverage and distribution of naloxone?
- Which first responders carry and administer naloxone?
This Environmental Scan does not provide a comprehensive review of the naloxone programs, nor does it appraise the effectiveness of these programs or policies. The Environmental Scan only presents a profile of how naloxone is made available in each jurisdiction; that is, it provides examples of the operation, oversight, and funding of take-home naloxone programs, and if (and how) public drug plans and first responders provide naloxone.