News and Events
CADTH Recommends First Gene Therapy Treatment for Rare Form of Childhood Vision Loss
- On November 16, CADTH recommended that Canada’s federal, provincial, and territorial drug plans (except Quebec) should reimburse, with conditions, voretigene neparvovec (also known as Luxturna and licensed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.).
- This treatment is the first-ever gene replacement therapy to treat vision loss due to inherited retinal dystrophy caused by biallelic retinal pigment epithelium 65 kDA protein (RPE65) mutations.
CADTH Recognition Awards in Health Technology Assessment
- CADTH presented recognition awards to two scientists during the 2020 CADTH Virtual Symposium to honour their exceptional contributions to the field of health technology assessment (HTA). Read our full announcement.
- Dr. Wendy Ungar received the 2020 Dr. Jill M. Sanders Award of Excellence, which honours individuals whose outstanding achievements have significantly advanced HTA in Canada.
- Dr. Kelvin Chan received the Dr. Maurice McGregor Award, which honours rising stars early in their careers.
CADTH Virtual Symposium Recorded Sessions
- Did you miss some of the great live sessions during the 2020 Virtual CADTH Symposium? Great news — our sessions are now available for on-demand viewing on the Symposium Website. We’ve also added 30 new pre-recorded sessions that will bring you fresh insights on a range of topics, including: Genetic Testing, Health Economics, Real-World Evidence, and more!
CADTH Virtual Symposium Workshops 2020-2021
- There’s still time to register for a variety of workshops between November 2020 and March 2021.
- The next workshop on January 20, 2021 is an introductory-level workshop on “Delving into the Literature: What Does the Evidence Really Say?” Participants will appreciate the importance of critical appraisal, understand potential sources of bias in published literature, and learn practical methods for evaluating some of the most common types of publications to assist their decision-making.
- Attendance is limited for all workshops, register as soon to hold your spot.
COVID-19 Webinar Recordings
- Every month, CADTH hosts one to two webinars on COVID-19 hot topics. We invite Canadian experts to discuss the evidence and interpret the research. To keep abreast of our upcoming webinars please visit our COVID-19 events web page.
- Did you miss one of our webinars on COVID-19? You can now watch all of them on our YouTube channel.
Want to learn more about our work on COVID-19? Visit our CADTH COVID Evidence Portal.
CADTH Reimbursement Reviews
CADTH recently issued the following reimbursement recommendations:
- Voretigene neparvovec (Luxturna) for vision loss, inherited retinal dystrophy
- Indacaterol glycopyrronium mometasone furoate (Enerzair Breezhaler) for asthma maintenance
- Indacaterol /mometasone furoate (Atectura Breezhaler) for asthma maintenance
CADTH Health Technology Reviews
CADTH recently published the following health technology reviews:
- Target-Controlled Infusion with Propofol and Remifentanil for Moderate Procedural Sedation in Medicine and Dentistry: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines – Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Trastuzumab Combination and Monotherapy for HER2 Advanced or Recurrent Uterine or Endometrial Cancer: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness – Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Direct Observational Therapy for the Treatment of Tuberculosis: A Review of Clinical Evidence and Guidelines – Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Community Water Fluoridation Exposure: A Review of Neurological and Cognitive Effects – A 2020 Update – Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy for People with Borderline Personality Disorder: A Rapid Qualitative Review – Summary with Critical Appraisal
- PET Diagnostic Imaging with Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen for Prostate Cancer: A Review of Clinical Utility, Cost-Effectiveness, Diagnostic Accuracy, and Guidelines – Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Ongoing Trials for Drugs in the Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 (Updated November 20, 2020) – Health Technology Review
- Ongoing Trials of Plasma-Based Therapies for the Treatment of COVID-19 (Updated on November 25, 2020) – Health Technology Review
- Care for Acquired Brain Injury and Concurrent Mental Health and Substance Use Issues – Environmental Scan
CADTH Reference Lists
CADTH recently completed the following reference lists:
- Screening for Cognitive Impairment in Asymptomatic Community-Dwelling Older Adults: Clinical Utility and Guidelines – Reference List
- Qualitative Research on Dialectical Behaviour Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder – Reference List
- Pasteurized Donor Milk versus Formula for Preterm Infants: Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines – Reference List
- Cleaning of Non-Portable Medical Suction Canisters and Liners: Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines – Reference List
- Non-Absorbable Sutures for General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, or Gynecological Surgery: Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines – Reference List
- Positron Emission Tomography–Computed Tomography for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Coronary Artery Disease: Clinical Utility, Cost-Effectiveness, and Diagnostic Accuracy – Reference List
- Absorbable Sutures for General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, or Gynecological Surgery: Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines – Reference List
- Computerized Provider Order Entry Systems for Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests: Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines – Summary of Abstracts
- Automated versus Manual Blood Pressure and Cardiac Monitors in Prehospital Settings: Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines – Summary of Abstracts
- PET Imaging with Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen for Prostate Cancer: Clinical Utility – Summary of Abstracts
- Protective Eyewear for Health Care Workers: Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines – Summary of Abstracts
Other CADTH Tools
CADTH recently developed the following tools:
- Hospital News article: Next steps in pandemic response: How can long-term care homes support their staff? “
- In Brief: “Care for Acquired Brain Injury and Concurrent Mental Health and Substance Use Issues“
Tell Us What You Think
We love hearing how our products and services are influencing health care policies, clinical practices, and patient outcomes. If you have a success story to share, please get in touch with your CADTH Liaison Officer.
CADTH E-Alerts: Subscribe to receive the latest CADTH news, reports, feedback opportunities, and events.